As the world of ecommerce increasingly moves towards headless architectures, those with the skillset to build and maintain these systems will be in high demand. It’s also an incredibly lucrative field. Job marketplace Talentify estimates Headless Commerce Cloud professionals can earn $56,000 to $126,000 annually. If you’re looking to start your career in Headless Commerce, here are a few things you need to know.
Develop Your Web Development or Programming Skills
Anyone looking to get into Headless Commerce Cloud should first build up their web development or programming skills. This is because headless commerce is all about using APIs to connect different software platforms.
Additionally, these skills will give you the foundation to understand headless commerce’s complexities.
There are many online resources that teach web development or programming skills. Here are our recommendations to get you started:
- Codecademy. A great website to learn to code. The platform offers concise and clear explanations of coding concepts, making it easy for beginners to get started. Additionally, their exercises are interactive and engaging, giving you immediate feedback as you progress.
- MIT OpenCourseware. One of the world’s best technical schools has a plethora of self-guided courses on hundreds of topics, including programming, development, mathematics, and computer engineering. For example, their Introduction to Computer Science and Programming will teach you the basics of programming. Likewise, their Introduction to Programming Using Python will give you insight into well-designed backend language.
- Coding Dojo Algorithm Prep. For new developers, it’s important to be familiar with programming algorithms as soon as possible. Their free Algorithm Training Platform will build your coding muscles as you solve a series of challenging problems.
Familiarize Yourself with Headless Commerce
Headless Commerce is a recent concept in ecommerce, so it’s essential to understand what it is and how it works.
In a nutshell, Headless Commerce is a type of ecommerce architecture that allows for the frontend and backend of an online store to be decoupled or separated. This separation allows for greater flexibility and scalability when it comes to the store’s design and functionality.
Still confused? Don’t worry- there are online resources available to learn about Headless Commerce.
A good place to start is by reading articles on Headless Creator, a popular website among Headless CMS professionals.
Also, check out our post Headless Commerce Trends To Follow In 2022/2023, for recent developments in the industry.
Get Experience in a Popular eCommerce Platform
Many headless commerce solutions are built on top of existing ecommerce platforms such as Shopify, Magento, Salesforce, or BigCommerce. To get started in headless commerce, it’s helpful to have experience working with one of these platforms.
There are a few different ways you can go about gaining this experience.
One option is to work with an existing ecommerce platform as part of your job. For example, if you’re a web developer, you might be asked to add headless commerce functionality to an existing website. This would give you a chance to see how the platform works and get a feel for its capabilities.
Another option is to build your own headless commerce solution from scratch.
Get an Internship or Do Volunteer Work
If you’re a student or entering the workforce for the first time, an internship is a great way to start a Headless Commerce career.
You’ll gain valuable experience and learn the ropes from experienced Headless Commerce professionals. Plus, internships often lead to full-time jobs.
Volunteer work is another option to consider. Contact a non-profit organization or local tech startup in your area and offer to volunteer your time in exchange for experience.
Network With Other Headless Commerce Cloud Professional
Networking with other Headless Commerce Cloud professionals is one of the most important things you can do for your career.
Start by talking to people you know in the field and reach out to Headless Commerce professionals who work in roles you’d like to have someday. Tell them you’re looking for guidance and advice as you enter the industry and would like to speak with them.
Utilize social media as a networking tool. Create and update your social media pages, including your LinkedIn profile.
You should also attend Headless Commerce events and industry conferences and connect with the Shopify professionals you meet on social media.
Remember: It takes time to develop professional ties, but it is frequently one of the most effective ways to get a Headless Commerce job or advance your career.
Attend Headless Commerce Cloud Events and Conferences
Whether you’re just starting or looking to further your Headless Commerce Cloud career, attending events and conferences is a great way to network and learn from industry leaders. Here are some organizations and events that can be beneficial for your career in Headless Commerce Cloud:
- Headless Commerce Summit. Technologists, digital marketers, and ecommerce professionals across the globe meet for a two-day hybrid event filled with deep-dive talks on ecommerce and the growing headless commerce ecosystem. All-expense paid scholarship tickets are available to students, boot camp attendees, and those breaking into tech.
- Dreamforce. The world’s largest software conference, Dreamforce, is Salesforce’s annual event that attracts roughly 170,000 attendees and takes place in San Francisco. Everyone working in the Salesforce ecosystem will be there, including admins, architects, and developers.
Starting a career in Headless Commerce Cloud may be difficult, but with the proper preparation, it can be a great choice for those hoping to break into the tech or ecommerce industry. Begin by learning to code, and then familiarize yourself with Headless Commerce and ecommerce platforms like Shopify, Magento, Salesforce, or BigCommerce. Next, use internships and volunteering as an opportunity to gain more experience with Headless Commerce. Finally, with persistence and hard work, you can discover a satisfying Headless Commerce career.
If you need help establishing your Headless Commerce career, Jarvis Cole can help!
Jarvis are global leaders in Headless Commerce jobs recruiting and ecommerce recruitment services. We’ll help you find the best roles that meet your salary requirements and guide you through every step of the job interview process.
Ready to make your Headless Commerce career goals a reality?
Discover the latest Headless Commerce jobs and other ecommerce job opportunities by following us on LinkedIn.
Get in touch with us today, and let’s work together to make your Headless Commerce career goals a reality.