A career in Shopify can be a very rewarding experience. There are many benefits to working in Shopify, including the ability to work from anywhere in the world, the potential to earn a good income, and the satisfaction of helping people grow their businesses.
Whether you’re just starting out or looking for a change, a career in Shopify might be the right move for you. Here’s what you need to do to get started.
Specialize and Build Off Your Current Skills
Think about your current skills and how they can be applied to the Shopify platform. Building on your existing knowledge or skills is the quickest way to become a Shopify expert with little effort or investment.
If you have an eye for design, consider learning Shopify store design.
Are you a whiz at words? Try Shopify ecommerce copywriting.
Do you know how to code? Then, you might enjoy doing Shopify development.
Other areas of interest include customer service, order fulfillment, and Shopify theme and app development.
Once you’ve picked an area to specialize in, hone in on the particular skillsets while on the platform. Shopify offers free trials, so you can try and play around. There are also plenty of Shopify tutorial videos you can learn from online.
Learn Your Trade
You should know the ins and outs of the ecommerce platform before you apply for a Shopify job. The best way to do this is by taking courses or joining an online community of Shopify experts. Here are some resources to get you started:
- Shopify Academy. The platform offers free business lessons from established Shopify experts and entrepreneurs.
- Udemy. Over a million people are taking Shopify courses on this popular Massive Open Online Course (MOOC). Also, check out the best-selling How To Become A Shopify Expert course, a comprehensive and highly rated program for beginners.
- Codecademy. A great website to learn to code. The platform offers concise and clear explanations of coding concepts, making it easy for beginners to get started. Additionally, their exercises are interactive and engaging, giving you immediate feedback as you progress.
- Google Digital Marketing & E-commerce Professional Certificate. Although it doesn’t focus on Shopify, the program covers the fundamentals of ecommerce and digital marketing. This is a great course to take if you’re aiming for a career in Shopify sales or marketing.
Get a Shopify Internship or Do Volunteer Work
Once you’ve learned the skills needed for a Shopify job, it’s time to put your new knowledge to practice.
An internship is a great way to get started in your career. You’ll gain valuable experience and learn the ropes from experienced Shopify professionals. Plus, internships often lead to full-time jobs.
Volunteer work is another option to consider. Contact a non-profit organization or local tech startup in your area and offer to volunteer your time in exchange for experience.
Become Shopify Certified
Getting certified as a Shopify Service Partner is a great way to demonstrate your expertise to potential employers. Organizations put a high value on Shopify-certified professionals. As a result, they tend to prefer hiring those with certifications over non-certified applicants.
The Shopify Partner Academy has dozens of certifications. However, we recommend the following to newbies:
- Business Fundamentals. This certification covers sales, marketing, project management, and advice for working with Shopify merchants. As a Shopify Service Partner, it is essential to know how to pitch to clients, negotiate contracts, and handle scoop creep.
- Product Fundamentals. You’ll gain insight into the platform’s technical side in this certification. This includes navigating the Admin page, methods for solving regular technical issues, Application Program Interfaces (APIs), dosing customization, functions, Shopify activities, and Shopify applications available to help you with your administration and the maintenance of your customers.
- Theme Development. Here you’ll learn the basics of coding and UX design. Web development is an important skill for Shopify professionals. This certification is a must-have if you’re aiming for a career as a Shopify designer.
- App Development. This certification tests you on all aspects of app development for the Shopify platform, including public, private, and unpublished apps. It covers everything from building secure applications to overcome complex technical problems you might encounter as you develop.
You don’t need to earn all four certifications, but earning them will offer you a comprehensive grasp of Shopify as a whole and help you move on to the next phase of your Shopify career.
Network With Other Shopify Professional
Networking with other Shopify professionals is one of the most important things you can do for your career.
Start by talking to people you know in the field and reach out to Shopify professionals who work in roles you’d like to have someday. Tell them you’re looking for guidance and advice as you enter the industry and would like to speak with them.
Utilize social media as a networking tool. Create and update your social media pages, including your LinkedIn profile.
You should also attend Shopify events and industry conferences and connect with the Shopify professionals you meet on social media.
Remember: It takes time to develop professional ties, but it is frequently one of the most effective ways to get a Shopify job or advance your career.
Starting a career in Shopify can be daunting, but with the right preparation, it can be a great choice for those looking to get into the tech or ecommerce industry.
Start by familiarizing yourself with the platform, and then look for opportunities to get involved with Shopify projects through internships or volunteering. With a little hard work and dedication, you can find a great career in Shopify.
If you need help taking your Shopify career to the next level, Jarvis Cole can help!
Jarvis are global leaders in Shopify jobs recruiting and ecommerce recruitment services. We’ll help you find the best roles that meet your salary requirements and guide you through every step of the job interview process.
Ready to make your Shopify career goals a reality?
Discover the latest Shopify jobs and other ecommerce job opportunities by following us on LinkedIn.
Get in touch with us today, and let’s work together to make your Shopify career goals a reality.