If you’re looking for a new career that offers challenges and opportunities, you should consider pursuing a career in Magento. The powerful ecommerce platform powers over 270,000 businesses worldwide, including some of the biggest names in online retailers such as Procter and Gamble, Tommy Hilfiger, and The Coca-Cola Company.
With so many businesses relying on Magento, people with Magento development skills are in high demand. A Magento career can also be incredibly lucrative. Magento developers can expect to take home an average salary of $114,881 per year, according to Glassdoor.
It will take time, money, and dedication to learn and become a successful Magento developer. Below are some tips to get you started.
Acquire Technical Skills and Certifications
Prepare yourself for the long haul. Magento is a complex (and rather frustrating) platform to work with, as we’ve discussed in our previous post, “Understanding Magento Commerce Platform as a Beginner.” Managing a Magento-powered website requires mad technical and programming skills.
Don’t be intimidated, though. Everyone, including all experienced Magento developers, started somewhere.
Start With the Basics
You should also familiarize yourself with the following programming languages and technical techniques:
- MVC architecture
- Modular development rules
- Linus OX Commands
- Zend cache
Along with the programming languages mentioned above, you also need to be familiar with Search Engine Optimization (SEO) because ecommerce businesses rely on organic traffic and sales.
Learn How Magento Works
The best way to learn how Magento works is through practice.
Download and install a test version of Magento. Test it out as a customer to understand how the checkout procedure functions from the front end. Learn how to put up new goods, shipping, catalog pricing rules, and shopping cart rules via the admin.
Read Magento blogs and the official Magento Developer Guide to learn more about the platform’s features and components. You can also watch Magento videos on YouTube and listen to Magento podcasts.
Perhaps the best and fastest way to learn Magento is to enroll in a training course. While several online courses are available, Adobe’s official Magento training courses are the most popular.
If you get stuck along the way, you can get help from one of the many Magento online communities. Quora, Stackexchange, Reddit, and Magento forums are good places to ask questions and learn from more experienced Magento professionals.
Although earning it isn’t easy, having a Magento certification will help you land more job opportunities, win over new customers, and improve your credibility.
Adobe has eight Magento certifications, each with corresponding levels of Expert, Professional, and Master.
- Solution Specialist
- Associate Developer
- Front End Developer
- Professional Developer
- Cloud Developer
- Order Management
- Professional Developer Plus
Get an Internship or Do Volunteer Work
There’s a catch-22 to entering the workforce. You can’t get a job without experience, but how do you get experience without a job? The easiest solution would be to get an internship or do volunteer work.
Students and recent college graduates should take advantage of internship opportunities available at tech companies and ecommerce businesses. Volunteering is another great way to practice what you’ve learned so far.
Contact a Magento development company or tech start up in your area and offer to do an internship or volunteer work.
Network with Other Magento Professionals
Networking with others in the industry is one of the most important things you can do for your career.
Start by talking to people you know in the field and reach out to professionals who work in roles you’d like to have someday. Tell them you’re looking for guidance and advice as you enter the industry and would like to speak with them.
Utilize social media as a networking tool. Create and update your social media pages, including your LinkedIn profile.
You should also attend Magento events and industry conferences and connect with the Magento professionals you meet on social media.
Remember: It takes time to develop professional ties, but it is frequently one of the most effective ways to get a job or advance your career in Magento.
Attend Magento Events and Conferences
Whether you’re just starting or looking to further your Magento career, attending events and conferences is a great way to network and learn from industry leaders. Here are some organizations and events that can be beneficial for your career in Magento:
- Magento Association. From webinars to meet-ups, the Magento Association hosts global ecommerce events that bring together merchants, developers, marketers, and technology providers.
- Mage Titans. Organized by experienced developers and Magento experts, Mage Titans hosts annual conferences in Austin, Manchester, Milan, Mexico City, Valencia, and Groningen. Their conferences feature over 30 speakers sharing knowledge on security, performance, scalability, and more.
- Adobe Summit. The annual Adobe Summit features more than 200 sessions and workshops on making the digital economy accessible through new product and technology innovations.
- Retail TECH. A trade fair, conference, incubator area, startup areas, open stages, and hundreds of activities create a dynamic place where the entire retail industry can meet and discuss future technology innovations.
- #Gen. For French-speaking Magento professionals, #Gen offers the chance to examine personal interests, like programming languages and digital transformation. The two-day event consists of networking opportunities, conferences, and seminars from industry experts.
- eCommerce Asia. One of the biggest ecommerce events in the world, eCommerce Asia is a highly anticipated ecommerce, retail, and marketing technology conference held in the luxurious event halls of Marina Bay Sands Singapore. Attendees will learn about innovations in customer experience, cross-border trade, smartphone commerce, omnichannel retail, last-mile deliveries, and other areas.
If you want a career in Magento, start by becoming familiar with the ecommerce platform and its capabilities. Then, look for opportunities to get involved with Magento projects through internships, volunteering, or freelancing.
Don’t be afraid to start at the bottom and work your way up – everyone has to start somewhere! With a little hard work and dedication, you can find a great career in Magento.
Are you looking to take your Magento career to the next level?
Partner with a recruiter you can trust and will have your best interest in mind by working with Jarvis Cole.
Jarvis are global leaders in Magento jobs recruiting and ecommerce recruitment services. We’ll help you find the best roles that meet your salary requirements and guide you through every step of the job interview process.
Ready to make your Magento career goals a reality?
Discover the latest Magento jobs and other ecommerce job opportunities by following us on LinkedIn.
Get in touch with us today and let’s work together to make your SaaS career goals a reality.